IDB Merit Scholarship Programme for PhD and Post-Doctoral Studies (2016-17)
HEC has received offer of scholarships, from Islamic Development Bank (IDB), for PhD and Post-Doctoral Program, offered in the world renowned Institutions, for the session 2016-2017.
Application are invited from permanent / regular employee of academic institutions and R&D bodies of Pakistani / AJK nationals, possessing very good standing/grades, as required by the IDB, Universities, who would like to pursue their career in Science and Technology, in their home country.
The objective of the programme is to develop technically qualified human resources in the IDB member countries by providing scholarships to promising and outstanding scholars and researchers to undertake advanced studies and research in the fields of applied science and technology needed for the development of the member countries.
The Programme offers scholarships for study and research at two levels: (i) 3-year Ph.D. study/ research, and (ii) 6-12 months of Post-Doctoral research.
WHO CAN APPLY?
To be eligible for the scholarship, the applicant must meet the following basic criteria:
- Age not over (a) 35 years for Ph.D. study, and (b) 40 years for Post-Doctoral research;
- Permanent / regular employee to a research/academic/development institutions in science and technology in Pakistan
- Must possess the required academic background in the related field of their proposed study/research and have some professional/research experience in the respective field;
- Demonstrate that the research proposal has scientific and technological relevance with the objective of meeting the priority development needs of the country;
- Have good command of the language of the institution of study and the ability to conduct scientific work in it.
FIELDS OF STUDY IN WHICH SCHOLARSHIPS ARE OFFERED:
- All Scientific disciplines with priority to Health/medicine, Agriculture/Food production, Water Resources/Desertification, Energy/Infrastructure Development, Nanotechnology, Development-focused ICT, and pure Science subjects
- Applications for post-doctoral research are invited to undertake a specific innovative project to address a problem-solving matter in member countries such as Malaria, Corona, Ebola, Food production, Water Resources/Desertification, Energy etc.
BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS:
The scholarship covers the following benefits and entitlements:
- All academic expenses
- Living allowances
- Health Insurance
- Round trip air-tickets to and from place of study
- Conference Participation allowance
- Scientific Paper preparation allowance
PLACE OF STUDY:
The successful candidate for the PhD programme must secure admission at one of the universities listed in the Times Higher Education Supplement (THES). Please visit the THES website: http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings. Priority shall be given to those Ph.D. applicants who have secured admission at universities that have concluded a cooperation agreement with the IDB such as University of Cambridge, University of Nottingham, University of York and University College London and Imperial College London in the UK, Princeton University in USA, Paris-Tech in France and KAUST in Saudi Arabia, etc.
The successful candidates for Post-doctoral research are invited to undertake their research project at Research Centres of Excellence which have the facilities and equipment to undertake cutting-edge research projects, both in IDB member countries as well as in advanced countries.
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA AND DOCUMENTARY REQUIREMENTS:
Detailed eligibility criteria is also available at IDB website. http://www.isdb.org;
HOW TO APPLY:
Completely fill in IDB application form:
- HEC PhD Application Form (Download from here)
- HEC Post-Doctoral Application Form (Download from here)
Completely fill in HEC application form with the help of computer, don't attach both HEC and IDB forms.
- IDB PhD Application Form (Download from here)
- IDB Post Doc Application Form (Download from here)
Attach all the documents with IDB Application Form as mentioned in the Eligibility Criteria section of each program (above) as well as in the How to Apply section of IDB Application form.
Do not attach HEC application form with IDB Application form. HEC application form must be sent separately. Also, attach the print of THES list highlighting the Host University ranking number, with HEC application form only.
Completely pin up / staple each application form, loose applications will not be entertained.
Applicants are advised to send Three (03) Complete Sets of IDB Application Form along with a HEC Form as mentioned above on or before 29th February 2016.
Attach the payment receipt of Rs. 300 (Application Processing Fee) with HEC Application form only. All payments are to be made to HEC through HBL online facility. This facility is available in all branches of Habib Bank Ltd. A separate HEC HBL bank Account No. 17427900133401 is being maintained for the purpose.
SEND YOUR APPLICATIONS TO:
Deputy Director (HRD)/In-charge FFSP
Higher Education Commission
IMPORTANT INSTRUCTIONS FOR APPLICANTS:
- All the information available with HEC has been shared on its website. For any other information or queries, applicants are advised to visit www.isdb.org or visit www.ead.gov.pk and contact the relevant authorities for queries.
- HEC is only facilitating in the processing of the said scholarship and has no financial liability in this regard.
- Applicants are required to send complete applications as mentioned above. No missing documents will be accepted and forwarded.
- List of nominated applicants will be placed on HEC's official website and later IDB authorities will themselves intimate the results. Applicants are therefore advised not to send emails for any queries regarding final selection.